Some of my readers have dropped drawing tutorial requests via e-mail, Tumblr and Formspring and actually, I have prepared this since monts ago yet it's left abandoned because...I forgot to publish it haha! I'm so sorry.
This tutorial is how to draw a cupcake with Adobe Photoshop (my version is CS 3). Cupcake is one of my favorite objects to draw and I think it's really simple and easy to work on for beginners. This is my very first drawing tutorial, I'm trying my best to make this as clear as possible and you're always welcomed to ask me questions :)
1. Let's start! Go launch Adobe Photoshop and choose "File > New". For the Preset, "Default Photoshop Size" is okay. Now you are ready with your blank page, start with "Create a New Layer". Make sure that "Layer 1" is selected when you make your drawing.
2. My trick to make a smooth drawing : do a lot of "Zoom-In"s! This will make you closer to your paper. Click the magnifier icon and do the zoom-in until you feel close enough.
3. Now start drawing the outline. Pick "Brush" from the tool box. For the brush size, size "2" is my favorite. If you have difficulties to draw a smooth line, you can do the zoom-in again. I also do the same when I have to draw small details :)
4. Done with the cupcake outline? Now draw lines for the cupcake paper liner effect. Switch to "1" for the brush size. The "Thick and Thin" technique makes your drawing becomes more alive.
5. Outline is now done! Now is the time for coloring session. Start with "Create a New Layer" again because outline and color has to be placed in two different layers.
6. I always start with the cherry on top.
7. Coloring the paper liner is the most fun part for me. Be creative with the patterns! You can make the polkadot pattern by using the bigger size of Brush and make one simple click to create a dot.
8. Fill the chocolate.
9. Finishing touch! It feels like decorating real cupcakes, doesn't it? ;D
10. After you are done, click the magnifier icon again and go zoom-out. Enjoy the result!
11. Do you plan to bake more cupcakes? Right-click on "Layer 1" and select "Duplicate Layer..." and "Ok."
12. Keep duplicating the cupcake outline until you've reached the amount that you want.
13. And yes, repeat the same steps in coloring session by using different colors and details... and you'll get a ton of various cupcakes in no time!
So these are my basic steps of drawing on Adobe Photoshop. Draw outlines and color them. As simple as that. You can explore more and try new objects to draw every day!
I hope you find this tutorial useful and if you are going to give it a try, it will be my huge pleasure to see your cupcakes! Show me your result via Twitter, e-mail, or anything... and if I happen to receive a lot of submissions, I'm going to post them here :D
PS : Feel free to grab these cupcakes!