Nov 30, 2015

Thoughts On Instagram


I hope every single of you who are reading this are doing fine. It has been a month since my last post and I'm not doing so good right now. What bugs my mind the most is thinking of what should I do with the future of my Instagram feed; should I post more artworks, or post random daily photos and not to think too much of the audience, or be more serious and concerned with what the 'market' wants, or just stop posting and make a fresh start with a new account?? I have been quite unhappy with the development of my feed, because I feel that people are starting to be no longer engaged in my posts and I don't know if it's my fault or not. Maybe I publish too many promotional posts and people were not liking it. Or my random daily pictures are getting boring. Or my (lately) frequent selcas are really annoying. Or something else. Another bothering factor is how the amount of my followers looks quite impressive, yet it is not reflected on the intensity in my posts. I'm happy Instagram featured me in their Suggested Users list twice but I keep wondering why it didn't do me any good. 
Nevertheless, I like the idea of not giving too much damn about it because actually it feels stupid to guess the answer of such a profound and intangible thing and I should just concentrate on real things in real life instead. As a further matter, I love sharing daily pictures of my life. I always fall in love with pretty documentations and that is what makes me love Instagram in the first place. I love to see beautifully arranged massive brunch, collection of novelty brooches, witty picture books, pretty girls with their messy hair, whimsical wardrobe, sights of places that I'll never visit....I have discovered so many amazing and interesting people who inspire me so much and keep going on without 'following the stream'.
But one does not simply stop feeling bad and easily move on :(
Anyway, if you are a follower of my Instagram, I would love to hear your insights. What would you like to see more from me? Are you okay with random photos, beauty shots, or are you actually looking forward to more artworks? Please feel free to share your thoughts :)

Pictures were taken during my trip to Josh's hometown: Scarf and honey for the 'in-laws' / Dinner at 1903 / The famous Zangradi / The disappointing and overpriced bakwan jagung / Lava cake / Frequent visitor at Josh's house / Faux window / Cute corner / Popped into Kate Spade just to take pictures

11 comments:

Mei めい said...

I also have the same thoughts .__. but I ended up posting whatever I think I want to post, lol.
I'm your insta follower and I love your feed ;)

Big Dreamer

sherlyn lavenia said...

I don't really care because everything that you post is interesting hahaha. maybe everything in consideration.. i like seeing selfies or ootds but once someone post them like everyday i'm not into them anymore.. you can post WIPs or your table, anything really

Carlyn Brody said...

I don't look at Instagram at all so I can't be of much help. All I suggest is you do you which means don't worry about audience because it's better to lead an authentic life. I am an avid fan of your blog and I like the stuff you post on that.

Eka Dyana said...

Hi Jes! I read your blog since a long time ago, and i've followed your instagram since i make one.
I love to see any random things you post :) anything you feel pretty and you want to share with us, not only your artwork (i love your artwork btw!). Don't feel too concerned and have fun sharing picture with us ^^

Jessica Xu said...

@Mei: I think that's for the best ;D thank you so much <3
@Sher: thanks, Sher :3 I promise I wont spam with way too many OOTDs and selfies hahaha
@Carlyn: everything you say always makes me feel better, thank you so much! I've been reminding myself about the exact thing you stated :)
@Eka: thank you so much, Eka <3 happy to know!

Anonymous said...

I still love your posts on instagram til today, but maybe you need to post more artworks because idk for me weirdoinpink is always associated with cute drawings. Oh and also loads of cute bits and bobs! Besides, maybe you should share some stories of your life when you posted something. Not the personal ones, just something to get in touch with your readers. Hope u doing well!

Fransisca Ayu said...

Hi Jess! I love your instagram feeds because they look pretty and eye pleasing. Honestly i really miss your drawing and artworks. But still do whatever that makes you happy,don't mind about the followers or bad comments. Your account is your right :)

Jessica Xu said...

@Anon: thank you so much for your input, this means so much to me! thank you thank you <3
@Ayu: thank you Ayu <3

Celine Dermawan said...

Hey Jess! Great to see your blog :)

This was a really interesting post and I find myself resonating with some of your opinions. As you know from my own personal situation, I made a new ig account and left the old 'bouquetofstars'. This wasn't because I was "changing my style" as some people may think. The truth is it was because I really felt restricted to my perfection; sticking with a 'theme' and putting in the effort to make everything look presentable (correct lighting, laying out items, etc.). I decided I was tired of that habit and wanted to post anything I liked and found interesting -- albeit only to an audience of people who know me personally.
Anyway, I find the photos on your blog as a neat example of what I'm talking about; moments captured on real time yet not lacking their own stories, daily happenings/sights -- I find those really interesting! Alternatively, maybe you could have a main 'themed' account and have a personal account for everyday stuff like some people do. I'd be super interested to see that!

Hope this was somewhat helpful! I can't wait to see you again in the future x

Celine D.

Jennie595 said...

hi, ci! i've been following your instagram since 2013. i love your feed so much because you're great at taking photos of daily life. i also like the way you arrange your stuffs to make them look great. please stay original, ci. you could post whatever you like, whether it's perfect or not.

cheers!

Chippeido said...

Nice post! Love it <3<3
Hey, go and visit mine too and don't forget to follow mine back if you don't mind hehe ^^ thanks~

http://www.chippeido.co.vu

Post a Comment

I highly appreciate every single comment, thank you :)